- A parking lot is an essential aspect of a retail business as it makes the first impression on customers.
- Proper care and maintenance of a parking lot are necessary to ensure customer safety, avoid liability issues, and provide the best experience for customers.
- Over time, parking lot surfaces can wear down and must be fixed or replaced to keep them functioning optimally.
- Identifying pavement failure and making necessary repairs promptly is crucial for keeping the parking lot in good condition.
- Signs indicating that your parking lot needs repair include potholes, cracks, and raveling.
- Atkins Paving in Forts Mill, SC, can provide all the services and asphalt repair solutions needed to keep a parking lot in top condition.
- Our paving contractors are experienced and knowledgeable and deliver quality services.
Owning a retail business is an exciting venture but comes with challenges and many responsibilities. One common issue that many retail companies face is maintaining the parking lot and dealing with asphalt repair.
The parking lot is one of the most important aspects of any retail business. It sets the first impression of your store, and if it’s in disrepair, it could turn customers away. Moreover, if the parking lot is improperly maintained, it could lead to legal liability issues. For instance, if a customer were to slip and fall in your parking lot, they could sue you for not having the proper care and maintenance of the area. You could also be liable for damage to customers’ vehicles while on your property.
Therefore, make sure your parking lot is taken care of properly. You should regularly inspect your parking lot for any signs of damage or deterioration and take measures to repair and maintain it accordingly. Consider hiring a professional parking lot maintenance company to ensure your parking lot is safe and free of debris or other hazards.
If you reside in Fort Mill, SC, Atkins Paving is a reliable and trusted parking lot maintenance company that can help you keep your parking lot safe and functional. Our paving contractors use cutting-edge techniques and materials to perform various services, including seal coating, striping, and other asphalt repair solutions. We can help you create and maintain a safe, attractive parking lot that meets your needs.
That said, identifying pavement failure in retail parking lots is crucial to avoid any damages that might occur. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what pavement failure is, how to recognize it in a parking lot, and how experienced paving contractors can help keep your parking lot safe and functional.
What Is Pavement Failure?
Pavement failure is the deterioration of a pavement’s surface and structure due to wear and tear. Numerous factors can cause it. Natural causes include extreme temperatures, weathering, and freeze-thaw cycles. Human causes include overloading, inadequate drainage, inadequate design, poor construction, and improper maintenance.
Pavement failure can cause various problems for drivers, pedestrians, passers-by, and businesses. There are multiple signs to look for that indicate pavement failures and require asphalt repair services.
Signs of Pavement Failure
The signs of pavement failure vary, depending on the type and severity of the failure. The most common symptoms are:
Cracking is one of the top signs of pavement failure. Cracks can occur in the surface, sub-base, and base layers of the pavement and can be seen in many forms, including:
- Longitudinal cracks – These are parallel to the pavement’s centerline.
- Transverse cracks – These run perpendicular to the pavement’s centerline.
- Diagonal/Expansion cracks – These form at 45-degree angles to the pavement’s centerline.
- Alligator cracking – This is a pattern of interconnecting cracks that resemble an alligator’s skin.
- Block cracking – These look like large rectangular blocks across the pavement surface.
- Edge cracking – These are longitudinal cracks that form near the edges of the pavement.
- Slippage cracking – This is a series of crescent-shaped cracks that form due to poor bonding between the pavement layers.
- Fatigue cracking – This is caused by repeated loading on the pavement, such as traffic and weather, resulting in cracks that look like spiderweb patterns on the pavement.
If you find any of these cracks in your pavement, it’s crucial to make repairs as soon as possible. Unrepaired cracks can lead to further damage and will cost more to fix down the road.
Our expert paving contractors specialize in crack repairs and can help you fix any cracks in your pavement quickly and effectively. We use the latest techniques and advanced materials to ensure long-lasting repair.
Raveling is the process in which asphalt pavement breaks away into small pieces, leaving a rough, sandpaper-like surface. It is caused by the deterioration of the paving material due to weathering, aging, and traffic wear and tear.
Raveling often occurs in newly paved roads due to inadequate compaction or poor mixing of the asphalt material. It reduces skid resistance, exposes the pavement to accelerated deterioration, causes water infiltration, and roughens the surface.
Our asphalt repair team can help restore your raveled asphalt to a smooth, safe driving surface through our raveling repair service. We ensure all visitors and drivers in your retail parking lot are safe by providing top-quality repair. Our process begins with removing loose pieces and debris from the raveled area.
This is followed by an asphalt patch repair to fill any voids in the pavement before thoroughly compacting it with a professional compactor. We then seal the area with a high-quality sealant to prevent water infiltration and premature raveling in the future.
These are large, bowl-shaped depressions that form on the pavement’s surface. They are usually caused by water seeping into cracks in the asphalt and freezing during colder months or heavy vehicles driving over weak spots on the pavement.
Potholes are dangerous, as they can cause vehicle damage and possible collisions. Our paving contractors have seen it all and are adept at tackling everything from minor potholes to large-scale repair projects. We clean the pothole area, remove any loose material in the hole, and use a high-grade asphalt mix to fill the cavity. Our patching and resurfacing services will ensure safe driving conditions and a smooth surface.
Ensure A Smooth, Durable, and Lasting Surface with Expert Paving Contractors
Atkins Paving has years of experience and expertise in asphalt paving. We use only the best products on the market to ensure a well-structured and durable surface that will last years. Our paving contractors are highly trained in new asphalt installation and repair work, so you can rest assured that your project will be completed correctly and to the highest quality standards.
We are dedicated to providing exceptional customer service, timely completion, and a fantastic finished product. Atkins Paving is the right choice in Fort Mill, SC, whether you need a complete parking lot installation, asphalt repair, or maintenance services.
Get a free quote for your paving needs today!